Joseph is a litigator who works relentlessly to protect his clients.
Originally from Weyburn, Saskatchewan, Joseph is a litigator and joined Miles Davison LLP in 2013 where he carries on a civil litigation practice with a focus on wills and estates litigation. He was admitted to the Saskatchewan bar in 1997, and Alberta bar in 2002. Joseph is a litigator who advances his clients’ positions and interests in an organized and efficient manner. He has successfully resolved countless contested matters by way of trial, settlement negotiations, mediation, and judicial dispute resolution.
Joseph’s civil litigation practice focuses primarily on wills and estates, which includes actions involving;
- Disputes Between Beneficiaries and Personal Representatives
- Challenges to Wills
- Family Maintenance and Support Claims against Estates
- Accounting Applications
- Power of Attorney Fraud and Breach of Trust Claims
- Guardianship and Trusteeship Applications
- Life Insurance Pension and RRSP Beneficiary Designation Challenges; and
- Disputes over jointly-held assets
In addition to wills and estates litigation, his civil litigation practice includes Corporate Commercial Litigation including, Debt Collection and Security Enforcement, Contract Disputes, Shareholder disputes, Fraud Litigation, Real Estate Litigation and Construction Litigation, as well as Professional Negligence Litigation, Personal Injury, and Family Law Litigation.
Joseph is the proud father of his daughter, Kate, and enjoys playing the guitar, skiing, hiking, fishing and attending musical and sporting events. He is a longtime volunteer and current member of the board of directors with the Calgary Folk Music Festival and a volunteer with the Calgary Stampede Talent Search Committee.
Publications & Presentations
- “Questioning – Getting the Answers”, Legal Education Society of Alberta, Estate Litigation Fundamentals, April 2017
- “Advanced Civil Litigation for Paralegals”, Legal Education Society of Alberta, March 2010
- “Case Comment: Russell v. Turcotte”, Civil Writes – CBA National Civil Litigation Section Newsletter, July 2009
- “Allocating Risks in Contracts”, SARIMS Breakfast Presentation, November 2, 2006
- “Lights, Camera, Breathalyzer!”, The Saskatchewan Advocate, December, 2000, Volume 3, Issue 4
University of Saskatchewan, College of Law, 1996, LL.B.
University of Saskatchewan, College of Commerce, 1993, B.Comm.
Admitted to the Saskatchewan Bar in 1997
Admitted to the Alberta Bar in 2002
Professional and Community Experience
Past Chair, CBA Civil Litigation National Section
Past Chair, CBA Civil Litigation (South) Subsection
Executive Member, CBA Wills and Trusts (South) Subsection
Past Member, CBA Legislation and Law Reform Alberta South Committee
Director, Calgary Folk Music Festival
Committee Member, Calgary Stampede Talent Search Committee
Member, Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers Association
Referral Lawyer, Law Society Lawyer Referral
Student Mentor, CBA Mentor Program
Lawyer Advisor, University of Calgary Student Legal Services